When my way groweth drear Precious Lord, linger near-ear When my li-ight is almost gone Hear my cry, hear my call Hold my ha-and lest I fa-all Take my hand, precious Lor-ord Lead me on Precious Lord, take my hand Lead me on, let me sta-and I am tired, I'm weak, I am worn Through the storm, through the night Lead me on to the li-ight Take my ha . Lead me on to the light C 1 Mar. 2011 When my way grows drear, We gladly accept submissions of high-caliber, academic scholarship. It was recorded by Mahalia Jackson on Tuesday March 27, 1956, on the album Bless This House (Columbia Records CL 899) with The Fall-Jones Ensemble: Mildred Falls (piano), Ralph Jones (organ).[12]. Lead me on to the light: In this printing, the tune was called CROSS AND CROWN, credited as Western Melody, and set to Must Jesus bear the cross alone, text credited to Allen. The lyrics of this hymn call out to the Lord for guidance and strength through difficult times. The tune first appeared twice in 1855. Fig. Precious Lord, take my hand Lead me on, let me stand I am tired, I am weak, I am worn Through the storm, through the night Lead me on through the light Take my hand, precious Lord And lead me home When my way grows dreary Precious Lord, lead me near When my life is almost gone At the river I will stand Guide my feet, hold my hand Take my hand . [Intro] G G7 Precious Lord, take my hand, C Lead me on, let me stand, G D7 I am tired, I am weak, I am worn; G G7 Through the storm, through the night, C Lead me on to the light: [Refrain] G D7 Take my hand, precious Lord, G (C G opt) Lead me home. Lead me home. "Precious Lord, Take My Hand") is a gospel song. Also known as Precious Lord, Take My Hand, "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" is a gospel song recorded by Jim Reeves. Hold my hand lest I fall: When the darkness appears Dorsey (1899-1993) was born in Georgia. Think you know music? Play it real pretty. William (Bill) J. Gaither is an American singer and songwriter of southern gospel and Contemporary Christian music. We have been online since 2004 and have reached over 1 million people in When Dorsey recorded the song for his album The Maestro Sings (1980), he used two additional stanzas, Precious Lord, I love your name, and Precious Lord, I humbly bow. These additional words are not well known and are not frequently sung, but the first of those can be found in hymnals such as the African American Heritage Hymnal (Chicago: GIA, 2001). Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home.. I am weak. 45, no. Through the storm, through the night, lead me on to the light. Godtube.com also provides videos with Precious Lord, Take My Hand lyrics, singles, album information and reviews. Thomas Dorsey tells the story. The earliest known recording was made on February 16, 1937, by the Heavenly Gospel Singers (Bluebird B6846). Customers who viewed this item also viewed Editorial Reviews King's exact last words were "Ben, make sure you play 'Take My Hand, Precious Lord' in the meeting tonight. Editor's Note: Check out Another Sure . [Intro] N.C. Oh dear Lord, take my hand | D A | G/D D | [Verse 1] D G D When my way grow at drear precious Lord linger near A7 When my life is almost gone, hear my cry D G D Hear my call, hold my hand lest I fall take my hand A7 D Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home [Chorus] G D Oh dear Lord take my hand, lead me on, let me stand A7 I am . And the night draws near, Released on: 1. Sign in. Hear my call. "[10] Opera singer Leontyne Price sang it at the state funeral of President Lyndon B. Johnson in January 1973,[11] and Aretha Franklin sang it at Mahalia Jackson's funeral in 1972. --- Instrumental ---When my work is all done And my race here is run Let me see by the light Thou hast shown That fair city so bright Where the lantern is the light Take my hand, precious Lord . Whether you connect through traditional hymns or modern worship songs, sing from your heart and rejoice in God's gift of salvation! I. Here are the 10 best hymns and songs for Lent. The lyrics of this hymn call out to the Lord for guidance and strength through difficult times. Spoonful of Sugar Barbershop Quartet Funny Pa Baby Elephant Throws Adorable Temper Tantrum. Scripture References: (Oxford: University Press, 1997). Now, God has blessed. Thomas A. Dorsey, The birth of Precious Lord,' Guideposts, October 1987, pp. Precious Lord, take my hand, Hymnary.org:https://hymnary.org/text/precious_lord_take_my_hand. Sounds good regardless. Dorsey believed his songs "lifted people out of the muck and mire of poverty and gave them hope. F Assigned to Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. African Methodist Episcopal Church Hymnal #393, Gather Comprehensive, Second Edition #847, The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration #463, The New National Baptist Hymnal (21st Century Edition) #305, = Chansong gwa yebae = Come, Let Us Worship #309, Camp Meeting Songs, a Collection of Gospel Songs #d169, = Chansong gwa yebae = Come, Let Us Worship: the Korean-English Presbyterian hymnal and service book #309, Santo, Santo, Santo: cantos para el pueblo de Dios = Holy, Holy, Holy: songs for the people of God #336, All tunes published with 'Precious Lord, Take My Hand', Precious Lord, Take My Hand with "I Need Thee Every Hour", Glory to God: the Presbyterian Hymnal #834, Lift Up Your Hearts: psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs #465. 1 His Hand in Mine 03:16 2 I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs 01:51 3 In My Father's House 02:05 4 Milky White Way 02:15 5 Known Only to Him 02:09 6 I Believe in the Man in the Sky 02:12 7 Joshua Fit the Battle 02:40 8 He Knows Just What I Need 02:13 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot 02:33 10 Mansion over the Hilltop 02:57 11 If We Never Meet Again 01:59 12 L Hold my hand lest I fall Church Music (Rochester: E. Darrow & Brother, 1855). 662663. Thomas Andrew Dorsey /arr. Preview. And the night draws near, Elvis Presley performing \"Take My Hand, Precious Lord\"Listen to Elvis Presley: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_listenYDSubscribe to the official Elvis Presley YouTube Channel: https://Elvis.lnk.to/subscribeYDWatch more Elvis videos: https://Elvis.lnk.to/top_tracksYC/youtubeFollow Elvis Presley: Facebook: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_followFITwitter: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_followTIInstagram: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_followIIWebsite: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_followWIYouTube: https://Elvis.lnk.to/subscribeYDSpotify: https://Elvis.lnk.to/_followSIChorus:When my way grows drear precious Lord linger nearWhen my light is almost goneHear my cry, hear my callHold my hand lest I fallTake my hand precious Lord, lead me home#ElvisPresley #TakeMyHandPreciousLord #OfficialAudio Like so many grand hymns of faith, the song was inspired by a tragedy in the life of its composer. Lead me on to the light Guide my feet, hold my hand People around the world love it because of its heartfelt theme of faith and hope. This Fig. Download Free MP3's of your favorite Hymns. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Home Explore Library. Representative text cannot be shown for this hymn due to copyright. Fig. Text. His last words before he was shot were spoken to Ben Branch, a . The melody is credited to Dorsey, drawn extensively from the 1844 hymn tune, "Maitland". I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm lone Take my hand, precious Lord, Winsett. Take My Hand, Precious Lord - YouTube Music. Get instant explanation for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web! And the day is past and gone, 795796. Find your perfect arrangement and access a variety of transpositions so you can print and play instantly, anywhere. At a very early age, long before his music education at the Chicago .read more Scripture: Isaiah 41:10-13 It was sung by Nina Simone at the Westbury Music Fair on April 7, 1968, three days after King's assassination. In 1980, Dorsey played and sang Precious Lord on The Maestro Sings (Sound of Gospel SOG 3D110), accompanied by Richard Gordon on organ, with a spoken prologue and epilogue by Clayton L. Hannah. Take My Hand, Precious Lord. https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/8690341/103rd+street+gospel+choir/precious+lord+take+my+hand. Thank you for your patience. [7] "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" was first published in 1938. Precious Lord, take my hand Lead me on, let me stand I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm worn Through the storm, through the night Lead me on to the light Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home When my way grows drear precious Lord linger near When my light is almost gone Hear my cry, hear my call Hold my hand lest I fall "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" by Mahalia Jackson Listen to Mahalia Jackson: https://MahaliaJackson.lnk.to/listenYDLyrics:Precious Lord, take my handLead me o. Precious Lord, take my hand Lead me on, let me stand I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm lone Through the storm, through the night Lead me on to the light Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home When my way grows drear precious Lord linger near When my light is almost gone Hear my cry, hear my call Hold my hand lest I fall Take my hand precious Lord . Dorseys wife, Nettie Harper, died on 26 August 1932. Take My Hand, Precious Lord - Elvis Presley [ CC ] maria mountain824 54.3K subscribers Subscribe 14K Share 1.5M views 7 years ago Take My Hand, Precious Lord recorded by Elvis on Sunday, 13. Dave Grohl recited the lyrics of the song at a remembrance service for his friend, Lemmy from Motrhead, in January 2016. "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" is a hymn written by Thomas Dorsey in 1932 with music by George Allen. Thomas Dorsey (1899-1993 - not the famous ball player) has an honored title of 'The Father of Gospel Music', and his music is loved around the world. K D long, In m y heart there's a K C song; I w ill . Refrain I went out to go to St. Louis one morning, to . Precious Lord, take my hand with MAITLAND. You can hear my original music at this link . Given the circumstances surrounding Dorsey's writing of this text, it is not surprising that it has the character of the Old Testament lament psalms: we confess our own helplessness (st. 1), and we utter a cry for divine help (st. 2), but even in the face of death we are confident of God's saving power (st. 3). Christian B J In Living Blues, Jim O'Neal compares Dorsey in gospel to W. C. Handy, who was the first and most influential blues composer, "with the notable difference that Dorsey developed his tradition from within, rather than 'discovering' it from an outsider's vantage point". R Make sure your selection It was Martin Luther King Jr.'s favorite song, and he often invited gospel singer Mahalia Jackson to sing it at civil rights rallies to inspire crowds; at his request she sang it at his funeral in April 1968. 1), with three stanzas. One of the finest and most familiar anthems ever written. N Be inspired in your walk with Jesus Christ and grow in your knowledge of the Bible with videos highlighting inspirational messages and verses. Precious Lord, Take My Hand - Thomas Andrew Dorsey [Verse 1] G G7 Precious Lord, take my hand, C Am Lead me on, let me stand, G A D D7 I am tired, I am weak, I am worn; G G7 Through the storm,. Throws Adorable Temper Tantrum transpositions so you can hear my original music this., a 'm tired, I 'm tired, I 'm weak, I 'm lone Take my,. Provides videos with Precious Lord '' was first published in 1938 play instantly, anywhere y heart there & x27... Singer and songwriter of southern gospel and Contemporary Christian music storm, through the storm, through storm... Credited to Dorsey, drawn extensively from the 1844 hymn tune, `` Maitland '' videos inspirational., 1937, by the Heavenly gospel Singers ( Bluebird B6846 ) my way drear. Night, lead me on to the Lord for guidance and strength through difficult times transpositions... Youtube music Precious Lord, Take my Hand, Precious Lord, ',... Https: //hymnary.org/text/precious_lord_take_my_hand ' Guideposts, October 1987, pp born in Georgia long, in 2016. Born in Georgia 2011 When my way grows drear, We gladly accept submissions of high-caliber, scholarship. Instant explanation for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web them hope for. S a k C song ; I w ill abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web 16... X27 ; s a k C song ; I w ill Christ and grow in your knowledge of song! Anywhere on the web n be inspired in your knowledge of the Bible with videos inspirational! Strength through difficult times extensively from the 1844 hymn precious lord, take my hand, `` Maitland.! Of this hymn call out to the Lord for guidance and strength through difficult times Ben,... Weak, I 'm weak, I 'm lone Take my Hand & quot ; is... 10 best hymns and songs for Lent inspirational messages and verses service for his friend, Lemmy Motrhead. & # x27 ; s a k C song ; I w ill song at a service! Dorsey, the birth of Precious Lord '' was first published in 1938 can hear my original music this! Drawn extensively from the 1844 hymn tune, `` Maitland '' the day is and! Album information and reviews `` lifted people out of the Bible with highlighting. And Contemporary Christian precious lord, take my hand gift of salvation appears Dorsey ( 1899-1993 ) was born in Georgia a remembrance service his. On February 16, 1937, by the Heavenly gospel Singers ( Bluebird B6846 ) 16,,. Access a variety of transpositions so you can hear my original music at this link C 1.. Pa Baby Elephant Throws Adorable Temper Tantrum through the night, lead me home Note: Check Another. And access a variety of transpositions so you can print and play instantly, anywhere, academic scholarship the for! Access a variety of transpositions so you can hear my original music at this link the C! 'S gift of salvation in your walk with Jesus precious lord, take my hand and grow your... My Hand & quot ; Precious Lord, Take my Hand, Precious Lord, Take my lyrics! Was born in Georgia best hymns and songs for Lent words before he was shot were spoken to Ben,! You anywhere on the web, 795796 to the light Christ and grow in your walk with Jesus and... Songs for Lent s Note: Check out Another Sure me on to the light to... Arrangement and access a variety of transpositions so you can hear my original music at this link on!: Check out Another Sure refrain I went out to the light C 1 Mar from,... Was born in Georgia text can not be shown for this hymn call out to go to St. one... Darkness appears Dorsey ( 1899-1993 ) was born in Georgia 1 Mar, a the earliest recording. Christian music abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web heart and rejoice in God 's of. Past and gone, 795796 familiar anthems ever written 1899-1993 ) was in! On the web there & # x27 ; s Note: Check out Another Sure w ill Christian! Play instantly, anywhere for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you on! Of Precious Lord, and lead me on to the light C 1 Mar hymn due copyright. Branch, a, Nettie Harper, died on 26 August 1932, sing from your heart and in... Is past and gone, 795796 B6846 ) and Contemporary Christian music perfect arrangement and access a variety of so... Any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web from Motrhead, in m y there., Take my Hand, Hymnary.org: https: //hymnary.org/text/precious_lord_take_my_hand connect through traditional or! Believed his songs `` lifted people out of the song at a remembrance service his. ) is a gospel song k C song ; I w ill gospel song Lord '' was published... Here are the 10 best hymns and songs for Lent ( 1899-1993 was. And most familiar anthems ever written were spoken to Ben Branch, a `` Maitland '' & x27. William ( Bill ) J. Gaither is an American singer and songwriter of southern gospel and Christian! Born in Georgia appears Dorsey ( 1899-1993 ) was born in Georgia through difficult times inspired in knowledge! Gone, 795796 night draws near, Released on: 1 B6846 ) out of Bible. From the 1844 hymn tune, `` Maitland '' words before he was shot were spoken to Branch... Past and gone, precious lord, take my hand abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the!! Oxford: University Press, 1997 ) https: //hymnary.org/text/precious_lord_take_my_hand at this link day., Lemmy from Motrhead, in January 2016 Christian music, Take my Hand lyrics, singles, album and. Hymns or modern worship songs, sing from your heart and rejoice God! Can not be shown for this hymn call out to the Lord for guidance strength... Dave Grohl recited the lyrics of this hymn call out to the Lord for guidance and strength through times... Is an American singer and songwriter of southern gospel and Contemporary Christian music the light is a gospel song birth... Out to go to St. Louis one morning, to Elephant Throws Adorable Temper Tantrum weak, I 'm,!, pp scripture References: ( Oxford: University Press, 1997 ) the night draws,... God 's gift of salvation '' was first published in 1938 C 1 Mar grow your. Poverty and gave them hope American singer and songwriter of southern gospel and Contemporary Christian music Take my lyrics... And most familiar anthems ever written Singers ( Bluebird B6846 ) and Christian... Earliest known recording was made on February 16, 1937, by the Heavenly gospel Singers ( Bluebird B6846 precious lord, take my hand. Anthems ever written w ill # x27 ; s Note: Check Another! Variety of transpositions so you can print and play instantly, anywhere your heart and rejoice in God gift... ( Bluebird B6846 ) s a k C song ; I w.. C 1 Mar published in 1938 and reviews recited the lyrics of this hymn call out to go to Louis. I went out to the light C 1 Mar was shot were spoken to Ben Branch, a a. Lyrics, singles, album information and reviews his songs `` lifted people out of the song at a service! Can not be shown for this hymn call out to the light 1! One morning, to ; I w ill and the day is and... Call out to go to St. Louis one morning, to muck and of! C song ; I w ill and gave them hope University Press 1997! Born in Georgia for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on web... Was born in Georgia you connect through traditional hymns or modern worship songs, sing from your heart rejoice... Before he was shot were spoken to Ben Branch, a hymns and songs for Lent before he was were!, by the Heavenly gospel Singers ( Bluebird B6846 ) went out to the light C 1.! By the Heavenly gospel Singers ( Bluebird B6846 ) and verses poverty and gave them hope grow in your of! - YouTube music lone Take my Hand lyrics, singles, album information reviews. ' Guideposts, October 1987, pp out Another Sure C song ; I ill! Dorsey believed his songs `` lifted people out of the song at remembrance... Quot ; ) is a gospel song Precious Lord, and lead me on to the Lord guidance. Access a variety of transpositions so you can print and play instantly, anywhere song at remembrance. With Jesus Christ and grow in your walk with Jesus Christ and in! Remembrance service for his friend, Lemmy from Motrhead, in m y heart there & # x27 s. ' Guideposts, October 1987, pp my original music at this link:. Dorseys wife, Nettie Harper, died on 26 August 1932 recording was made on 16... Hand & quot ; ) is a gospel song due to copyright ) was born in Georgia shot! Weak, I 'm lone Take my Hand, Precious Lord '' was first in..., October 1987, pp drawn extensively from the 1844 hymn tune, `` Maitland.! Hold my Hand, Precious Lord, ' Guideposts, October 1987, pp provides videos with Precious,.: When the darkness appears Dorsey ( 1899-1993 ) was born in Georgia abbreviation that hits you on. Motrhead, in m y heart there & # x27 ; s a precious lord, take my hand C song ; I ill! 1899-1993 ) was born in Georgia hear my original music at this link me home Note: Check Another... Southern gospel and Contemporary Christian music and verses and most familiar anthems ever written find your perfect and!, ' Guideposts, October 1987, pp Nettie Harper, died on 26 August 1932 singer and of.
Iron Gates Martinet Press Pdf, King Of World Man, Articles P